MRICS Estates Surveyor – Public Sector – Non Housing
Essex Based Council
3 – 6 Months
The Corporate Estates Team within the Client provides a variety of technical and professional functions including commercial property management, landlord and tenant, property development, supporting regeneration and new housing projects, valuation and appraisals and the development and maintenance of property records
For this reason, the Council discharges to Corporate Estates the responsibility for providing advice on a wide variety of property related issues including managing the Council’s considerable portfolio of non-residential assets, advising the Council on valuation and development issues, buying and selling and letting land and property, valuing residential properties for Right to Buy and negotiating and advising on easements and other complex property rights.
DUTIES OF ROLE
A general practice qualified chartered surveyor is required on a temporary basis to support the Team Manager Corporate Estates to fulfil the following duties.
1. To provide support to the Team Manager -Corporate Estates to ensure that the valuation and estates service functions efficiently and successfully in order to give effect to the Council’s objectives and policies
3. To undertake surveys and valuations for statutory purposes and of housing under the Right To Buy procedures in the Housing Act 1985 (as amended)
4. To value and acquire housing properties by private treaty.
5. To undertake property management of the Council’s land and property holdings including the grant of new leases, renewals and rent reviews. To introduce service charges within the portfolio when opportunity arises.
6. To instruct and liaise with the Council’s Legal Officers or external legal firms on preparation of new leases, variations to leases, disposals and acquisitions and other property transactions as required.
7. Instruct consultants if required and ensure that consultants meet deadlines, quality check work, ensure Council procedures are met.
8. To inspect properties to monitor compliance with contractual and statutory requirements. Liaise with tenants and the Council’s buildings management team regarding repair and maintenance of the commercial property portfolio in accordance with contractual obligations within budget.
9. To negotiate terms and conditions for the grant or acquisition of rights over or for the benefit of the Council’s land.
10. To dispose of land and property by private treaty negotiations, auction or competitive tendering or such other appropriate method
11. Support the Housing Development and Investment team by providing and/or procuring property and valuation advice for new housing development schemes proposed by the Council or its wholly owned housing company, Sempra Homes.
12. To prepare reports for Council Member and officer decisions and other purposes and to provide information for inclusion in such reports on various matters from a professional Estates viewpoint.
13. To respond to technical property enquiries received from members, Council officers and members of the public.
14. To represent Corporate Estates and attend meetings in a specialist capacity as necessary.
15. Support the maintenance of effective and professional relationships with services within the Council and external partners and stakeholders in support of the projects.
16. To conduct all work assigned to the post holder efficiently and effectively.
17. Undertake all the duties within the framework of Equal Opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR ROLE
1. Member/Fellow of the RICS- General Practice
2. Significant experience gained in the professional property industry. Experience of working within an estates department within Local Government is desirable but not essential
3. Experience in commercial property management
4. Experience in undertaking detailed negotiations to complete disposals and acquisitions of interests in land and property.
5. Able to communicate clearly and able to clearly explain complex matters to non-property professionals
6. Good organisational, self-management, communication and negotiating skills
7. Computer literacy, Word, Excel, GIS and Asset Management software
8. Capable of working with a minimum of supervision
9…… click apply for full job details